View Single Post
Old 09-16-2011, 06:08 PM   #22
landsurvey1

Re: Cooling system issue....

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUSHNBOBO View Post
A well designed and properly operating system can and ideally should run at the temp of the themostat once the motor warms up. no more no less...thats why its called a thermostat ...it automatically regulates the flow to keep the temp at the same degree.

Can you go a little over? sure ...but a system with the right combo of water pump, radiator, thermostat, fan, and shroud. Should not go over the thermostat temp, if it does something is either not adequate enough for the application or is not functioning correctly.

I run a 4 row copper brass radiator, Stewart Warner high velocity pump and a 160 degree thermostat, with a stock clutch fan setup.

With a 400 hp 355 sbc I can drive up a 10 mile grade with a C/30 dually weighing 4400 lbs........ at 20-30 mph on a 100 degree day and the needle never moves off 160. It will also sit at idle in traffic at the same temps ....still never overheat. This is because the components are very efficient at heat exchanging.
Just curious, I am no mechanic by any means. Why would you want your engine to run at such a cool temp. I thought the most efficient engine temp. is around 195 degrees. All the new engines run at 210 all day long?
landsurvey1 is offline   Reply With Quote