View Single Post
Old 03-25-2018, 06:38 PM   #22
68Gold/white

Re: 400 sbc heads and steamholes? add them or?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie H. View Post
I've been running a small block 400 in my 69 GMC for more than 20 years now with no issues whatsoever. I Built it mildly as a low rpm, high torque engine with a .020 overbore and a mild Crane 260H cam. I just used the stock 400 heads with a little port clean up. In my opinion, it is a great little truck engine, and should have been put in these trucks from the factory. I've never had it on a dyno, so really I have no idea as to actual HP and torque numbers, but from the seat of my pants, it feels much stronger than any 350 powered truck I've ever owned.
LOL, I've told folks about the potential of Small block 400's in the past. THey all doubted that a 400 had much more power potential than a 350, I don't argue about much, that just leaves more 400 blocks for me!

A good friend had my mentioned builder build an econo 400 of sorts, this was in early 80's. He used the stock short rods (not much was available back then to make much else, at least on a budget), cheapest forges Sealed Power foged pistons, 441 heads that were touched up by the builder, an early Edelbrock Performer (the early ones had larger runners than later units), a Comp 268H cam (high energy, not XE), a Holley 3310 750 carb.
It had 1-1/2 O.D. headers, which sound too small....

The absolute net dyno numbers were 300HP and 400 Ft/Lb torque. Mind you these are S.A.E. net numbers, power at the flywheel, which makes it sound just O.K.

It was put in a 66 C10, LWB, 3.42 gear (out of an 80's pickup), and a Muncie M20 4 speed.

I rode in this pickup many times, it was a fun ride every time. It had sooo much torque, but also revved very quickly.

He sold the pickup around 1995, and I did not know about it, man I would have bought it...it had zero oil use issues.

I have a similar 400 waiting to go in my 67 C10, but makes 100 more HP, can't wait!
68Gold/white is offline   Reply With Quote