View Single Post
Old 01-19-2017, 11:53 AM   #14
darrellyates

Re: How much would you buy this truck for?

Putting a value on a vehicle often becomes an emotional endeavor. Buyers get optimistic regarding ownership, and sellers are often emotionally attached or influenced by what they see on TV.

I like to try to inject objectivity into the negotiation with a 3rd party. According to the Old Cars Report Price Guide, an original 1970 Chevrolet C10 long bed truck is worth between $2460 and $20,500 based on condition. Now, a number 1 truck is the $20,500 and that means fresh restoration to current industry standards. That would mean everything perfect and original. Most show winners are actually number 2 vehicles ($14,350). Most cruise in cars and winners at local events are number 3 vehicles, ($9230) and a good older restoration/original parts, driver, that sort of vehicle is $4100.

Sounds like you are actually between a number 4 and number 3, based on the fact the under hood isn't fresh, there is lineX in the bed, and based on your statements there is a LOT wrong with the truck.

It may simply be that you and the seller can't get together. You can't help it if he paid more for it than what it is worth. Keep looking. There are a lot of these trucks out there. If you find one you really want, it's OK to pay a little more than it is worth. However, if you're trying to place a value on one, find reference materials and use those in your negotiation.

I have found that if you can actually agree on condition, usually you can price the vehicle accordingly.

Just my thoughts, and they are worth what you paid for them...
Thanks,
darrellyates is offline   Reply With Quote