View Single Post
Old 05-04-2019, 04:32 PM   #170
44boggers

Re: American in Austria 83 Build

Chopping away at it. All the brackets and leaf pads have been fully welded and I dont think the axle warped, so that is good!!! I was having major problems with my welder, i think my whip is going to ****, so i have new one on order.

I finished getting my new gears dialed in, going with a 3.73 gear set and an Eaton Tru trac locker.

My final set up with the gears was the back lash at .006 to .007/.008, mostly on the .007/8 side. Spec calls for .007 - .009. It is set up on the tight side of spec, but with the shim pack they provided i could not get it better. With a .002 shim difference it put me in the .010 - .011 backlash which is way to loose.

I got extremely lucky. I made set up bearings for the pinion, but the very first set of shims i put in seem to put me in a good place. At least I think it is. The pattern is right in the middle on both sides of the tooth and with the .007 backlash it seemed to yield the best pattern. Let me know if I am missing something with the pattern but to me I think its where it should be.

I used a new bearing and bored out the center to make the set up bearing and ordered up the exact same bearing i will press on , that way there is not, or should not be any variance with the bearing size.

Next thing in order is to strip it all down, clean it, paint it and do the final install.
Attached Images

Last edited by 44boggers; 05-04-2019 at 05:30 PM.
44boggers is offline   Reply With Quote