Thread: 55.2-59 door seals
View Single Post
Old 03-31-2021, 11:31 PM   #2
dsraven

Re: door seals

pics worth a thousand words especially if we don't now what you are working on. I assume its a 55? possibly a 55.2? going from memory of previous posts but I have seen lots of posts from lots of guys so its easy to lose track of who has what. a quick intro in the post would clarify for future reference.
last AD I did, the soffseal was the cure. tried the ones from LMC first (I think it was LMC, maybe somebody else. been awhile) but door wouldn't close. I have heard steeles is also awesome.
gotta fit door to the opening first, no latch, and get the gaps right. that is gaps for the door to the cab if it is a 55.2. the front fender gets attention after the door fits the cab opening. then install the latch and adjust so it closes proper without the latch getting the door into proper alignment at the end of it's swing. the latch should just be responsible for keeping the door at it's final depth, not for dragging it to the proper height. then install the seals. if the seals are pliable like they are supposed to be then the door should still close and latch. otherwise the seals are too hard, not the right profile, installed wrong or the sheet metal on the cab or doors isn't right. the last is a possibility because over the years lots of things happen. trucks go from being the new unit to being second best to being fix it cheap or the repair is more than the truck is worth. lots of these old trucks came through hard times where they were fixed with what was laying around and put together with spit and grit. things just had to close and fit good enough to keep the big rain or snow out. some guys will say install what you have and park it in the sun so the rubber can get a set over a couple weeks. maybe best to check the assembly manual to ensure the seals are installed the correct way and the profile is correct, then go from there.

sorry, no link for the AD trucks but here is a 55-59 assembly manual. go to sheet 82 for the weatherstrip instruction drawings.
https://www.trifive.com/d1/55-59Assy.pdf

https://www.steelerubber.com/
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote