View Single Post
Old 09-20-2019, 04:30 PM   #22
Chris_oz

Re: 1970 350 quadrajet questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpmerf View Post
Agree. One change at a time.

What is the part number on that intake? Is that an air gap? Does it have provisions for the choke coil on the pass side?

The Edelbrock 2101 should be a direct swap. The air gap I'm pretty sure does not have provisions for the choke coil, so it needs to be converted to electric choke.

Good document to have on the quadrajets:
http://www.capitalcorvetteclub.ca/at...ng%20Paper.pdf

If you really want to get into tuning, a wideband air fuel gauge is awesome. No more guessing, see your exact air fuel ratio. Narrowband is OK for tuning idle and cruise, but doesn't really have the range for wide open.
Hi again.

The manifold is the air gap, 7601 I think.
I read lots and watched plenty of videos and reviews on the air gap vs regular model before I bought it.
Most were aimed at low temp issues in cold areas.
I live on the east coast of Australia, I don't have a choke on any of my cars, it is not required. Summer here is 3 months of 110 deg f temps and heat is a big issue. I hope the air gap will help with carb boil and such, if not, I will swap it out.

I bought a new wide band O2 sensor too, it has data log and such if I want, runs the Bosch heated sensor. I should have it here soon.

I am going to test myself, I plan on tuning it without the sensor, get it to where I think it's close and see how I go.

One thing I did notice was the cylinders being fed from the drivers side plenum were much richer then the ones being fed from the pass side.

I pulled the plugs to see how bad they were and was surprised that 4 were pretty good kother than the rich low speed) but the other 4 were darker.
With the carb off, inside the manifold is the same, one side is black and sooty, wet with fuel, the other is pretty clean.

Maybe just one barrel was getting all the extra fuel.
Attached Images

Chris_oz is offline   Reply With Quote