Thread: Project 69SWB
View Single Post
Old 12-11-2012, 05:32 PM   #60
RWB-713

Re: Project 69SWB

Your build brings back alot of memories of the last couple years for me! I went through alot of the same process as far as clean up & prep & rebuild on the frame & suspension, talk about time consuming, definately ALOT of work!
I wish i would have had the awareness to take pictures and document all that work, sure would be nice to have them on my build thread if nothing else

I have a soft spot for lime green & black, and that's probably an understatement, lol. You have a great build going on here and it seems like you are making great progress, I'm really close to the same stage wit my '67 as you are now, and I've had that truck torn apart for several years now, I seem to have found a sudden super interest in it again tho, thanks to a good buddy of mine who has a build very near completion ( Portmod7 ), and many of you guys here on this forum have furthered that inspiration in the last couple of days. So hopefully. I'll be making progress and be back on track here pretty quickly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69swb View Post

What's the best tool to use to cut sections out of the other cab. I have a 4 1/2 angle grinder, a 3in cut off wheel, and a reciprocating saw? (Which I think is way to big for this kind of delicate cutting.) from past experience if I try to use these tools for this job.. It's gonna get ugly.
For most of my sheetmetal cutting on my cab we used a combonation of a 3" cutoff wheel on a die grinder, an airsaw (basically an air operated jigsaw), and a die grinder with a small (2") 36 grit grinding disc. Use the cutoff wheel and the airsaw to make the inital cuts, and leave just enough left to go back with the 36 grit and fine tune the line until it's where it needs to be so you can start working with your patch panel. It's a painful, tedious task at best, and it's my least favorite part of a build by FAR. (probably why my build has taken so many haults over the last couple years ). My biggest advice is to plan two steps ahead in every area, and measure 4 times & cut once, otherwise you find yourself going farther and farther into good metal, and it gets old REAL fast. Seems like you have a good amount of patience tho, take your time, don't get discouraged, and it'll all come together nicley in the end!

Definately subscribed! I'll pitch in any advice from past experiences I can, if nothing else, I can sure give lots of "what not to do" examples
RWB-713 is offline   Reply With Quote