Thread: Project 69SWB
View Single Post
Old 12-12-2012, 02:21 PM   #73
~Whitey~

Re: Project 69SWB

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWB-713 View Post
I'm doing all my body work on the bare metal and using guide coat primer in the spots i'm workin on. After all the work is done, I'll go back and epoxy prime the whole cab. I'd think epoxy priming the whole thing now would just cause you more work in the long run.

I'm not 100% that i'm doing it the "right way", but I've also learned that everyone approaches body work differently. I have a buddy who runs a body shop up here that basically does collision repair only (he's definitly helped me out alot), and their approach sometimes varies from someone who specializes in shaving, filling, & other custom work. Both usually seem to turn out just fine in my experiences. I think it's a "to each their own" scenario really, as body work is one of those things I'll add to my list of "Black Arts".
I know epoxy is like concrete and really hard to sand after it cures. From what I understand there is at most a 7day window after you spray it to add anything on top of it without have to scuff it. That's one of the reasons I am not wanting to do it just yet.. It's going to take me longer than that to finish this metal work with only being able to work on it an hour pr two here and there... If I start seeing surface rust I guess I'll speed things up or just go ahead with the epoxy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67cheby View Post
great progress !
Thank ya sir.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeen View Post
In my opinion you should always epoxy bare metal ASAP after it has been cleaned so it doesnt rust at all while you are working on it, and you should spot epoxy any areas you are working on at the end of each day.
I've heard that from several people and it makes sense. I would definitely do this if I was able to get everything done in a few days so as not to have to go back over the epoxy and rough it up... For now I'm gonna take my chances but will keep an eye out for surface rust forming and if it does I'll just go ahead and lay down a coat of epoxy.

Thanks for the input fellas.