View Single Post
Old 05-14-2020, 02:16 AM   #61
Pearly72

Re: Clear over polished grille

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearly72 View Post
As per our conversation last week... got the Protectaclear from Amazon this morning: prepped and have the first coat on, waiting my hour to put the 2nd coat on. So far, gave it more sheen and its leveling out to a smooth surface. When I get this original grille installed to replace my other beat up one - I’ll post a pic. Thanks for your post.
Alright! Grille shell and insert are on the truck. What I've learned: If your grille is off, may consider spraying with a good clear coat. When it is on the truck, this is your best bet for ease of application and quality.

I purchased an outer grille shell for my 72 a couple of years ago from a young man that was taking apart his C10 and restoring it to have GMC badging/grille. I bought it and had my buddy knock out the 2 dings on it.

Easy off, sanding (it had some decent scratches) and polished it. I put this Protectaclear on it and it isn't bad... from 2' away (which is good). I can see some flaws /runs from the peaks of the reverse V on the 71/72 grille shell. They ran down to the valley and kind of clumped up. I used a foam brush and tried to keep it as light of a coat as I could... it was hard for me.

Installed it and here's the result from 10' away. It's not bad at all! Good thing is, it's easy to take off with Xylene if I want to redo it. Overall --- pleased. Thanks Rockyrivermark!!!!!

-Garrett
Attached Images