View Single Post
Old 12-16-2010, 02:33 PM   #91
DirtyLarry
Windy Corner of a Dirty Street

Re: NV4500 swap is underway

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoffice View Post
Wow you really have a great thread going here! Nice to see exactly how this is done! My friend and I have been talking about doing this in his pickup but weren't too sure if the AA kit was worth it or not. Seems like it's not as easy as it should be for the price huh? Also I like the engine you have in there, what kind of mileage do you get with the 8.1?

Just a little info I gathered when doing my hydroboost setup, I was told by my buddy (builds lots of LS based buggys) that the stock GM P-pump will be more than enough to handle the hydroboost system, but putting a good cooler on it is the key. Also if you do want to go with an upgraded pump the TC pump is the way to go, and it will handle hydro assist if you decide to do that in the future. I put a larger pulley on my TC just to keep the pressures down a little at since they are rated at something like 1300 psi and the stock GM boxes usually only have something like 850 going to them. We used Howe Performance for all of our power steering products and they are just flat out awesome.

Just thought I'd share some of that with you, and great work! Cant wait to see this done! Bummer about the t-case shifter
Thanks!

I never checked the fuel mileage but it is definitely better than the carbureted 350 and 454 before it. My 2001 Silverado with an 8.1L gets around 10-13 MPG and my other 6.0L Silverado doesn’t do any better.

I agree, the original pump is more than capable of handling hydroboost. I just wanted the ZF pump in case I go the route of a hydraulic winch. These exact commercial grade HD ZF pumps are also used as standalone pumps on wrecker bodies, small dump beds, etc Thanks for the info! I keep those guys in mind.
DirtyLarry is offline   Reply With Quote