View Single Post
Old 03-04-2013, 01:54 AM   #87
63GMCKid

Re: '63 GMC 4x4 "Just Because I can" Build

Well with the spring warm up comes more work, more money, and more progress on the projects. This damn quad has still been sucking up most of my project money lately with a complete tear down, a "reliability rebuild" for the engine, and fresh powder coat and matte blue plastics. Otherwise known as the money pit, just a cool picture of it from the last time I rode my Raptor 660 before tearing it down a couple weeks ago. Now on to the good stuff, the GMC.

Once again, I'll try not to say too much, and let the pictures do the talking.

So I finally put the cab back on the frame. Haven't welded in the plates to box in the frame yet, but I needed to get the cab out of the way, and now would be a great time to put it on the frame. Gave me motivation to continue with it, I got rather burned out, the quad helped with that some, but nothing helps more with motivation for a burned out project than just doing something with it. Ignore the duct tape on the windshield, the windshield is not actually in place, its just sitting there, the duct tape is to keep it from falling off when I move it. Looks much better with the cab on the frame now with the 52's in the front to level it out and the 3/4 ton 56's out back. Sits level, shackle angle is pretty good, should be perfect once it has more weight on it.

Tons of room behind the engine to get a ratchet on the bell housing bolts, sticking to the ease of maintenance theme here.

Now I know this next picture is going to make a lot of you guys cringe, but it had to be done.... hacked up the perfect floor just to have a flat bottom frame. Divorced 205 in place, fits pretty good, but I have to redo my e-brake caliper bracket, caliper does not clear the rear structural member of the cab, and I would rather not hack that up. (e-brake caliper bracket removed in these pictures, had to take it off to get the 205 in)

Beef, it's whats for dinner. Beefy 1410 bolt on high angle flange yoke that I made with some 1410 parts from a set of half shafts of unknown origin that I acquired for free from a friend and a bit of 1/2'' steel. Puts that low angle cast 1350 bolt on yoke to shame.

1410 slip yoke assembly on the left, notice the width difference of the yoke compared to the 1350 on the right. That cast 1350 bolt yoke will probably find its way to the front drive shaft if I buy another flange from WFO.

And the big haul for the winter, scored a 42'' x 96'' x 3/8'' thick piece of 2024 aluminum, which has all the strength of 7075, but slightly cheaper due to being less corrosion resistant, for cheap. Traded a 14bff housing for it, not a bad deal right? Will be made into a full skid plate, from oil pan to transfer case and then some.

One more good score for this update, picked up a pair of Eaton HO72's for $100, one is out of a '68 Chevy 3/4 ton with 4.10's, and the other is out of a '54 Chevy 3/4 ton with 4.56's, both have the taper roller pinion bearing, unknown condition on the inside currently, but for $100 I couldn't pass them up.

And that's all for now folks! Once I finish up with a couple other small projects, it's back to working on this one as much as possible, so stay tuned!