View Single Post
Old 07-20-2021, 12:59 PM   #247
DOUBLE-DINGO

Re: Eaton HO72/HO52 vs. 14 Bolt FF

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbclassix View Post
Chris,

Here is what I was talking about for the studs being smaller...
The I.D. of the holes on the 14 bolt brakes are roughly .552" and the I.D. on the early Eaton is .490" So you are looking at roughly a .030 gap around the studs. Those measurements aren't perfect because of the knurls.

To make sure I have this straight, either bore out the Pre-70 hubs to accept the bigger 9/16 14 Bolt studs, or use longer 1/2 Pre-70 studs? Was there any issues running the smaller studs with the 14 bolt drums? Does the clamping force of the wheel being torqued down hold the drum in place and not slide fore or aft depending on the direction the wheels are turning upon applying the brakes?

I have the backing plates, just need to get the drums, shoes, hardware kit, and lug studs. In my research I swore I read in a thread on this subject that 14 Bolt hubs were required, and that with some creative interchanging of inner bearings and races, that the 14 bolt hubs would work. I then re-read this thread exclusively, as I cannot find the other threads I previously found on the subject, and discovered 14 bolt hubs only work with some machining to accept the Eaton inner bearing race. I did buy some 14 bolt hubs, but will most likely use the Eaton hubs for my swap to 14 bolt brakes.

Any information you guys can provide on the subject that I am missing will be much appreciated.
DOUBLE-DINGO is offline   Reply With Quote