View Single Post
Old 07-14-2015, 08:21 PM   #1
Northwest Outlaw

First timer here, just trying to build a cool truck and not kill myself

Hello all,
Real name is Peter and i'm from Seattle, WA. Recently purchased my first home and have a garage now, so what else would I do with it beside start a car project! Some how convinced the lady to let do this and after a two weeks of Craigslist scouring I am starting my first ever car project.
The craigslist ad was for a "1962 Chevy Apache Rat Rod" aka, clapped out truck that he no longer had time for. It was far from what he led me to believe, but I had driven an hour and half with my brother and a uhaul trailer so I wasn't leaving without my truck. Settled on half the initial trade value and towed home the truck PLUS a small block 350 and turbo 400 transmission. Another added bonus was the spare windshield in the cab and an Edlebrock Performer intake for the 350.
Turns out the truck is a '61 not the '62 he thought, and it doesn't "runs and drive fine" as he advertised it. Also i'm pretty sure is got a different engine at some point in history. From what i've gathered on the interwebz it looks like a IL6 250? definitely not the 230/5 he said it was. Wiring is a mess, spark plugs look like they've been at the bottom of a swamp and there aint a single panel untouched by some level of rust cancer. But She's MINE!!
I have big plans, but aint got a big budget or all the know-how. My brother is a new mechanic and loves building cars, so i will be buying him a lot of beer over the next couple years. I'm embracing the slow process and the rat rod look it's going to have for a bit. I'll start a build thread at some point, when I have something worth sharing. Until then, any advice or encouragement is welcome. I know she aint a looker, but hopefully she'll go fast and make the neighbors hate me!
Peter
Attached Images

Northwest Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote