View Single Post
Old 09-17-2008, 04:53 PM   #102
joe231

Re: The 283 Rebuild Begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacAttack View Post
The motor’s done - can’t abuse it any further.

I’ve moved on to the modulator tube.

Who knew you could buy a 60" piece of 5/32" ID brake tubing, with fittings, for $5.32 (+ tax) at NAPA? Outstanding. I got a small tube bending tool on sale about 10 years ago, used it once since that time, and found it again in the bottom of one of my roll away drawers.

Figuring that I could always buy another length of tube, I got bold and started bending away - first with a full half-circle at the modulator end and then mapped out the other bends along the transmission with blue masking tape - at each predicted turn.

It took ten minutes to fabricate the whole thing. The finished units were like $30.00 (less shipping) and they were all for a 70’ Camero and ‘might have worked.’

This part of the project was easy - you just have to get someone to help hold the staring end of the tube (or put it in a vice) while you’re doing the other bends - to keep the relationship correct as you go along.

Also mounted the pre-bent transmission coolant lines and the TH350’s ready for mating to the new engine.

Mac.
alright Mac....where are the pics???