View Single Post
Old 06-23-2013, 07:44 PM   #3
dunc018

Re: Project Lazy Susan

I debated for a long time on how to proceed with lowering the truck. Finally went with CPP 2.5" drop spindles and a 1" drop spring up front and 5" drop spring in the rear. A CPP rear shock relocator. KYB shocks front and rear and a CPP deluxe trac bar. The cheapest way I found to do the lowering kit was to order the items from Summit. The cheapest I found for the moog suspension parts was Rock Auto. For the discs, they were practically new so we just had them turned, installed inner and outer bearings/races and seals. We were going to reuse the calipers but found some already coated black at Napa for cheap so we just used those. Most items arrived pretty quick, some of the CPP items took a while but I knew they would going in. I was really impressed with the packaging and care in shipping for the drop spindles:

Name:  102_3865.jpg
Views: 450
Size:  43.5 KB

Name:  102_3866.jpg
Views: 457
Size:  58.4 KB

I am convinced that since they were a little behind schedule they just flew over the house and dropped them from the plane. And to land them on the front porch was one heck of a shot! All kidding aside, the contents were fine.

Here is a picture of the front suspension going on:

Name:  102_3926.jpg
Views: 453
Size:  55.5 KB

The swap over to the 79 front end went pretty well. Pretty much as others have said, just a little drilling and its in. Decided to go with the 69 motor mount towers since we would have had to build up to make the 79 motor mounts work. The 69 towers are currently in the I6/rear position. That may change as we move forward.

This weekend, we pulled out the differential from the 79 frame, pulled the drums and shaved the shock and leaf mounts. Here is a picture of my father grinding away at it (don't worry, the gas can he is throwing sparks at does not contain gas).

Name:  102_3928.jpg
Views: 438
Size:  48.9 KB

We are kind of on hold now, have to order the brackets to make the differential work with the 69 coil suspension. We are also looking at converting the rear to disc brakes.

That's it for now.
dunc018 is offline   Reply With Quote