View Single Post
Old 03-20-2020, 11:43 PM   #6
TKCR

Re: 84 seat belt questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72velle View Post
Hey folks,
I have an 84 C10 Custom Deluxe. The seat belts are stiff and don't lock as they should on braking. I have 2 questions:
1. Should there be 2 or 3 seat belts?
2. who sells quality replacements?
TIA,
Kevin D
There should be 3 belts, but the center is a lap belt.
I had to use aftermarket belts for awhile, a few years, until I found a nice set of OEM. I got mine from The Seatbelt Store, online. But since, I saw this place:
https://www.wescoperformance.com/resebe.html They look exactly the same, but offer more options, like the Metal GM buckle. They were alright, they served the purpose of having to have seatbelts. I did a color change on my interior, so I did the aftermarket belts until I could find stock belts.
Here lately, and after I restored the set of OEM belts I have found for myself, I have been doing a few other sets of belts. Mainly I thoroughly clean the belts. Hot soapy dawn soap and mild scrubbing of the belts. The retractor casing really does get gunked up with all kinds of nasty stuff over the last 40 yrs. I have a set I’m working on right now, that the belts would not even retract. After a good cleaning and a little Lubing of the retractor mechanism, they are back to retracting. I don’t remove or replace the webbing. Next I prep them for dye, and then the dye process. So far all the ones I have done, have turned out pretty good. Not perfect, but definitely better.
So first, here are some pics of the aftermarket belts I had and then the belts I restored for my truck. Originally, my truck WAS Burgundy.
Attached Images

TKCR is offline   Reply With Quote