View Single Post
Old 07-22-2013, 05:13 PM   #78
cmabolt

Re: Project Reno - 72 cheyenne rebuild

Update time. Well, fuel plumbing is absolutely done!!! I routed the lines straight back from intake, secured them on trans and then turned them out to hard lines just behind the transfer case. I also tried to route them so as to minimize exposure to exhaust heat. Took a while, but learned a lot.

Since I am getting closer to a test fire, thought I would start looking into how I am going to get my junkyard taurus fan in front of the motor in a cost effective way. Hmmmmmmm.

After mulling it over, looking at possibilities, reading forum posts, I decided to go with an aluminum shroud. I found a nice set of posts about how to get that Taurus fan into an aluminum shroud. I first cut the circular part of the fan away from it's stock housing.

Then I ditched the original shroud. I then took a look at the core support. It was not only in bad shape where the shroud mounts to the bottom, but it was not a good flat surface for a new shroud. I cut out the bad and welded in new angle steel at the bottom.

Next I made some measurements and a template for the new shroud. After doing some reading, I decided to make the depth of the shroud 4". This way
the 2.5 inch thick fan/motor will have about 2" of space away from the radiator to make sure the fan was pulling air across the entire radiator.
I will probably vent the top of the shroud as well to dissipate standing hot air when fan is not on. I had a nice 4 core radiator and didn't have to buy one
so the extra $$ on the shroud seemed well justified.

Now, all folded up and ready for the fabricator. I contemplated buying aluminum sheet and a few angle irons to bend the aluminum, but wanted it
to be clean and nice. The fabricator can do it in a day for $200 bucks and actually had some really good ideas about reinforcing the attach points for the fan. We'll see.

Last edited by cmabolt; 07-22-2013 at 05:27 PM.
cmabolt is offline   Reply With Quote