View Single Post
Old 09-03-2021, 09:13 AM   #16
jbjburbs

Re: 1985 Suburban Scottdale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corts60 View Post
Keep us posted on the Sniper! I really am leaning towards getting one of these for my burb. I just want to hear some more success stories first.
Slow to reply here, but we got everything setup with the Sniper. Tank, fuel pump, sending unit were super easy. Sniper and Hyperspark was pretty straightforward. Overall pretty simple enough, and the truck fired right off the bat. Then we got a little ahead of ourselves and overlooked a few things creating some issues in the beginning, but not the Sniper's fault. For example, we forgot to set/check physical timing and it was out about 10 degrees (Sniper thought 15 degrees was 25). Re-used old plug wires that end up arching and have 2-3 of them be pretty bad (hidden in heat shields).

I also had a real sticky gas pedal (hard to ease into acceleration) that I bought Holley's extension kit to fix (it did). Plus, my coolant temp sensor was bad out of the box. It read high and would go way off at running temp which meant closed loop learning engaged early or when at temp the controller was reading very hot.. both things effecting the tune to some degree I'm sure.

With all of that said, the truck is still running a 100x better with the new setup. 1st trip was about 400 miles and I was getting 18MPGs with power/throttle response all the way through. It was awesome. Cruising on freeway or back roads I had power if/when I needed it. Felt like driving my newer burbs. I tweaked some things and reset the Sniper before NSRA last month. I got the same 18MPGs in those 500 miles and ran great again. I'm still sorting the temp sensor as I've got in the rear passenger side of the head and it's getting heat soaked. My headers wrap right around the sensor, so I want to move it for a better reading (I've been checking temps with infrared thermometer and I have my stock gauge too, so I know it's fine).

End of day, I'm not done tuning/tweaking and I'm probably leaving a little bit on the table yet. I'm happy with it and excited to get it dialed in. I will say compared to Fi-tech setups my brother has worked with the Sniper offers A LOT more options which is both good and bad. I'm not a huge engine guy or mechanic, so it's a little overwhelming and forums often get into street/strip setups rather than stock stuff. Meaning I struggle to understand some of the settings I should or shouldn't get into. Also, I think the Hyperspark is new enough that Holley needs to refine a few things. It's like the Sniper and Hyperspark work against each other sometimes. Just a Sniper with HEI might have been better for my skill set... But I like options and am in technology by trade so I'll figure it out.

I'll try to get some pictures when later on.
Dad's 1948 Suburban -
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=563150

Bagged 1995 Suburban - SOLD
Bodied 1995 Tahoe -SOLD
jbjburbs is offline   Reply With Quote