View Single Post
Old 06-19-2018, 12:28 AM   #9
Root2812

Re: 2016 Sierra Rebuild

So there is still a long way to go but I achieved phase 1!!! I love this truck.

I did have to spend a long time detailing the interior because of all the broken glass. See photo below of finished interior.

So now I owe you guys a cost break down of the project so far. To recap, the goal of the project is to have a nice truck at around 60% of retail price. With an NADA of $41K that puts my goal all done at $24,600. So far all my parts have been new OEM except the brake hose which came form O'riellys. As stated before, phase 1 was to make it driveable and that had been achieved except I have a shake from a bent wheel so I need to buy a rim. I found one for $225 at a local yard but I haven't gone and bought it yet. The tire on that wheel has some sidewall rash so I am just going to replace it too for peace of mind even though it looks ok and I have driven 150 miles on it so far (its on the rear). Here is the breakdown so far (rounded to nearest dollar):

Purchase with auction fees: $16,100
Brake hose: $18
New tire: $135
Pair of fender:s $621
Windshield: $400
Paint and supplies for fenders: $230
Tail light: $380
Headlights: $1290
Mirror:$220

Total so far: $19,394

That leaves $5,206 in the budget.
The rim will cost me $225, Ill need another tire for $135, two box sides at about $500 each, fuel door $34, Bumpers for around $1800, and a grill for $500. That will put me about $3,694 in parts. I'm estimating $1,500 in paint and supplies. My guestimation math leaves me with $12 in the budget. I know I will run into some surprises that cost me money but I may also save a bit more here and there. Either way I am well on track to having my truck at a heavy discount ($16,400 estimated) thanks to my labor. The bonus is that I have a really nice truck to drive now for less than $20K and if I wait to fix the body, the parts will get cheaper. Right now its all cosmetics aside from that wheel and even beat up it looks a ton better than my rusty old 1986 K10. With two of us working on it (my dad and I) I am guessing we are in the project about 8-10 man hours.

I am very happy so far. Before I go too far on the body I need to decide what look I want. I am leaning toward a denali grill and painted bumpers instead of chrome but I might try the stock grill with painted surround to look more like an All terrain package truck. Either way, unless I get an awesome deal on chrome bumpers I will have painted ones. I really don't like offroad look but I did see a steel fabbed rear bumper that I am thinking might look good. I really only want that so I can mount a winch back there to pull cars up on a trailer with. We will see but for now I have a nice truck to enjoy.
Attached Images