View Single Post
Old 07-03-2020, 04:45 PM   #1
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Restoring Evaporator Box

Some questions about restoring an evap. box.

The box took some over-spray long ago with black aerosol. So first order is to remove it. I know a guy who can blast it, not sure what material he uses (black something), but it's much finer than sand. Is there a better way considering these are plastic?

I know some people remove the rivets for the bracket, but I think I can away without doing that. A finish guy and I agree that he paints what's black first, then clear coat the entire unit. I think these had a satin sheen, does that sound right for a restoration?

Is there a way to remove the door flapper on these without damaging it? The flapper is still good. If he needs to paint around it OK, but I'd rather remove it cleanly if possible. Unless I'm missing something I don't think it can be removed, similar the A/C diverted flapper. Makes me wonder how they assembled them to begin with.

Thanks!

Thank you
Attached Images

71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s details such as OEM identifications& part numbers, written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote