Thread: 47-55.1 Electric fan setup?
View Single Post
Old 05-11-2019, 10:21 PM   #14
MiraclePieCo

Re: Electric fan setup?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_50 View Post
I'm assuming an electric fan is preferred over a flex fan because the flex fan is always going right?

Derale is another brand I've come across that sounded like good quality. 2175cfm is enough Popstand? For a regular putter around occasional highway 350?

Does the cfm change if I am using the trans cooler in the radiator?

I'm still confused on a shroud. Would I want to cover the the whole Radiator? From my searches I found a few guys did flaps. Or do I start with no shroud and go from there?

Joedoh you mentioned using generic fans, I have no idea which ones are junk or not.
When researching electric fan specs, look at amperage rather than CFM. Most CFM stats are made up; amps is the real indicator of a fan's pulling power.

Electric fans generally have a built-in shroud. They are adequate to align air flow without blocking ambient flow through the radiator like a full coverage shroud.

Derale is a decent economy brand.

As far as fan location near the bottom of radiator goes, it hasn't seem to hurt my truck's cooling capability at all. In fact, if you look at the original factory fan setup from GM (below), they were quite low on the radiator:
Attached Images