View Single Post
Old 06-30-2006, 05:42 AM   #1
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

TOTM - June 2006 - Steppin Out

We had a good run this month and some super trucks. The choices were tough for a lot of us, but our winner for this months Truck of the Month is

Northerngmc
1959 GMC 9314

The truck was purchased new in a small rural Alberta town, Wetaskiwin to be exact by a farmer. He also purchased a brand new GMC grain truck the same year. Fast forward to 1989 when I found it sitting a few blocks from my parents house. The truck had passed through two owners both hoping to fix it up prior to me purchasing it. I registered it back on the road as the second registered owner in the fall of 1989. Before putting it on the road I had to go over the mechanics of the truck and install new tires.

In 1995 my father and I pulled the engine out and took the head off. Realizing that it needed more than just a set of rings my brother spoke to the shop teacher at my high school shop, and he was more than happy to have the chance to rebuild a 235 I6. The high school students tore the engine apart, rebored it, rebuilt it, and reassembled it. I bought the parts and they did the labour. A great deal for both of us!

In 2002 I finally maded the decision to have the body painted, which turned into a frame off restoration. I did not want to paint the truck until I had found front signal lights, they are not reproduced and NOS are hard to find. I do not do body work so I found a hop that would. It started out as a simple paint job that got carried away. I was swapping cabs, so why not paint the frame. The frame was painted so why not repaint and detail the engine., etc, etc, etc........

The truck in a 1959 GMC 9314, which is a Canadian half ton short box stepside. Canadian GMC's have Chevrolet drivetrains, therefore it has a 235 I6, and 3 speed manaul transmission.

The truck is painted 2002 Chevrolet Truck light pewter. The box now has all stainless steel hardward, oak wood and still has tailgate chains, but the stake pockets were removed. The wheels are stock with 48-54 GMC hubcaps and the proper trim rings.
Attached Images

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!

Last edited by Palf70Step; 06-30-2006 at 05:45 AM.
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote