View Single Post
Old 05-21-2020, 02:06 PM   #7
weim55

Re: anyone using a Comp high energy 268 H series cam on a 402

I know this doesn’t answer your question directly but this might be something to think about: since you mentioned you like the idea of a little neck snapping performance, I wouldn’t mess with that 402. Go to the junkyard and pick up a 454 roller motor. I noticed them in junkyards here in Colorado all the time and they usually go to the crusher because everybody wants an LS these days. I speak from experience when I say I would never rebuild a 396 or 402 for anything other than a restoration. If performance is what you’re after it’s more than worth it to step up to a 454. It’s actually a bit cheaper to build a flat tappet 454 than a 402 and the torque increase and fun factor goes way up. A 454 has so much torque you don’t even need to mess with aftermarket torque converters, your stock one will work just fine. What I don’t have experience with is a 454 roller motor rebuild and swap. Do an evening worth of reading and I’m sure you can find out the little details that will make the swap a slightly different from the typical old style 402/454. A slightly more difficult find but still very doable is to pick up a flat tappet 454 core and use your 268H in that. That cam would work great in an otherwise stock 454 with some compression. Just my two cents ......

Steve weim55 Colorado

Last edited by weim55; 05-21-2020 at 02:15 PM.
weim55 is offline   Reply With Quote