View Single Post
Old 03-25-2013, 09:44 PM   #159
jocko

Re: Complete T5 swap thread - one way to skin the cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by RdoubleU View Post
Thanks guys - good info on the shapes of Hurst options and hitting the seat

I was trying to find someones input on these Hurst Model #'s:
- Hurst chrome stick 538-6900- 13.5" tall: http://www.core-shifters.com/servlet...-Chrome/Detail

- Hurst chrome stick 538-4331- 16.5" tall (the tallest one Hurst makes) : http://www.core-shifters.com/servlet...16.5%22/Detail

Or just stick with the Double Bend Lokar if it works, just was hoping for a long term update from Jocko on this one
RW,
Sorry slow reply - but here's my 2 cents. I drove it a long time with the Lokar double bend and had no problems (truck has since sold Ha). Yes, what Core Shifters mentions regarding bolt size is correct. I highlighted this fact in post #1 of this thread:

"I used a Lokar 16” stick and 5-speed ball. Note, most t5 shifters you buy are drilled for 8mm metric bolts. So if you buy a Lokar or similar, you will likely need to use 5/16” bolts that pass through the stick and shifter mounting holes and then throw some lock nuts on them because you may find a counterbore/bolt/thread mismatch between your shifter and stick, etc. I used 5/16” socket-head bolts and nylon-insert lined lock nuts on the other side."

It has worked just fine, it never came loose at all. I had no problems. I think the key was using the nylok nuts.

Kinda comes down to what you want the interior to look like - I was contemplating scuffing and painting the stick black and stickin an old doorknob on it with a hand-scribbled 5-speed pattern, so that's why I went with the round stick vice a flat Hurst-type. I ended up keeping it chrome, and round cross-section sticks look a "little" more stock, but if you're going with a race-inspired truck, the Hurst looks good too. However, to answer your question - if you use the part numbers and caveats about the pass-thru design for mounting, it will all work out fine and will last also.

Last edited by jocko; 03-25-2013 at 09:54 PM.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote