View Single Post
Old 11-20-2016, 12:07 AM   #36
72cs20

Re: Project daily drivable 62 C20

Update - Last month I thought that I had set the engine into the truck for the last time, but my bell housing and clutch linkage arrangement idea didn't work out like I'd hoped. My scheme to move the clutch linkage to the driver side was borne out of the idea that bell housings with the clutch arm opening on the driver side are plentiful and cheap. I was able to get two of them at the swap meet for 20 bucks, and one of them came with a 60-62 horseshoe V8 front engine mount. Good score!
Well, that didn't work because the cab floor and firewall are right on top of the driver side of the bell housing leaving no room for the clutch arm or slave cylinder arrangement. I didn't even notice this until a couple of weeks after the engine was bolted in.
After a little bit of searching I was able to obtain a correct 60-62 V8 bell housing. And no , it was not cheap. But he had it and I needed it. Oh well.

Here is a pic of the two bell housings. The one on the left can be used in 55-59 and 63 and later trucks. 60-62 on the right, after powder coating.
Name:  60-62 bellhousing2.jpg
Views: 887
Size:  34.0 KB

On the interior side I finally finished the dash harness along with the Dakota Digital instrument panel controller. Installed the instrument panel. Decided my stock steering column was too worn out to use so swapped it out for a tilt Ididit column. I liked the natural metal look so I just shot it with some clear.
Name:  DDcontroller1.jpg
Views: 897
Size:  40.6 KB
Name:  finish dash 2.jpg
Views: 900
Size:  37.2 KB
Name:  finish dash 1.jpg
Views: 884
Size:  36.9 KB

Got the fuel gauge and dome light wiring ran to their respective locations. Got the new dome light installed. And installed the rear body wiring harness ran to rear of truck.
Name:  rear body harness.jpg
Views: 894
Size:  41.0 KB