View Single Post
Old 01-07-2016, 10:26 PM   #50
El Dorado Jim

Re: 1970 K20 Restoration

nice truck, I have a 72 K20, love these trucks, just wanted to say that I have checked on which color is correct on the front hub centers, red or blue? seems like some 70 trucks and suburbans came with both, here is an interesting link,http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=543501," GMCgrim" in the 4x4 section, is selling blue anodized aluminum hub knobs for your old large spicer hubs, I just bought 2 sets from him, they are awesome....also, a great upgrade to your truck would be axles from a 73 or newer 3/4 ton 4x4 chevy/gmc truck up til about 76, they used dana 44 fronts and corporate 14 bolt rearends, alot more of these available than 71-72, the front will bolt right in, the rear spring perches and shock mounts need to be moved, worth it though, you get disc brakes and get rid of your eaton rear which is very expensive to get parts for, even brake drums are like $150.00 ea... another good upgrade is to put an HEI distributor in it, they are only $90.00 for a new complete distributor from Summit,also, I would suggest using the U-bolts and plates from 14 bolt,they go up from the bottom,with the plate on top of the springs, alot better design than the stock square u-bolts,don't have to worry about breaking the bolt ends off....I am planning on watching your build, love the history of it, Jim also, if going with front disc brakes,a master cylinder,booster ,rods and brackets out of a 71-72( 2 or 4 wheel drive)3/4 ton chevy/gmc will work
El Dorado Jim is offline   Reply With Quote