View Single Post
Old 02-19-2022, 12:16 AM   #75
cpnbnanamn

Re: Gen 3 Drive By Wire cruise control HOW TO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls1nova71 View Post
Just to clear things up a bit, you are referring to not needing relays to run the LED tail lights. You are also running a dash mounted cruise switch, the only aftermarket switch that has the same style internal switches as a factory GM switch. At the start of this thread however, the relays used are for using an aftermarket column mounted cruise switch, which will need the relays. Hope this clears things up for anyone in the future that sees this thread.
Sorry to resurrect such an old thread, but I'm stuck and frustrated. I'm trying to wrap up an LS swap into my '78 K5,(yeah yeah, I know. I have a post over there, too) using an LQ3 from an '05 Yukon Denali. So far, evreything is going pretty well.. (ask me about the 4L65E to NP203 mod... after I've been drinking heavily) and I'm trying to finish up the cruise control lever. It had a single-button lever that was supposed to actuate a cruise servo. That's all gone. SO: I have the TC pinout, bought a replacement lever from Ididit (looks like a Rostra), and fished it down the column. Here's my issue: If what I'm reading is correct, the column -mounted lever will not work with the TCM because the switches at NO? And am I also reading correctly that you have to use relays to correct that? Gaah.

Is there another GM lever that can be used instead? It appears that the ones that are compatible with the TCM have the issue of mounting in the column - slotted pin instead of a tab with a screw into the canceling cam. Or am I stuck with the one I bought and relays?
Also, if all it's doing is changing out NO to NC, I'd think a light-duty relay might accomplish this. Not a lot of amperage is going to the TCM for signaling. Am I incorrect? Any constructive input is gratefully appreciated.

I'll get back the the '67 when this truck is done and sold.