View Single Post
Old 11-16-2019, 07:22 PM   #205
Vic1947

Re: 57 Chevy Wagon - Californa Dreamin'

The grille bar is ready for epoxy primer and filler. I sent a text with some pictures of it to the sandblast guy not too far from me. He wanted $250 to blast the remaining chrome off it. Took a pass. Instead, I used the DA to remove most of the chrome/nickel and then stuck it in the glass bead cabinet to rough up what was left. It hung out the end of the cabinet, but I draped a towel over the opening and it didn't make too much of a mess. Just some copper and pot metal left now. Epoxy will bond to it with no problem.

I did some research on spray chrome and I'm tempted to give it a try. The videos make it look easy (as you'd expect). They say the reflectivity is about 95% of actual chrome. For just the bar, which sits in the center of the grille all by its lonesome, it might just work.

I also got started on the bumper bullets. I used the plasma cutter to remove the centers and then a carbide burr in a die grinder to get up to the line that was stamped in them. I put one up in the mill and used a boring head to open it up the rest of the way to fit the light (Dakota/Durango lamp). Next up will be to figure out how to attach the bullets to the bumper.
Attached Images

Maybelline - my '57 Ford 2dr Sedan "Mecum'd" 3/2016 Location unknown
Silver Streaker "Mecum'd" 4/2013 Somewhere in Texas
Vic1947 is offline   Reply With Quote