View Single Post
Old 12-05-2012, 09:07 PM   #102
jocko

Re: Complete T5 swap thread - one way to skin the cat

rmsteph, not sure I could have been more thorough in my post, and I take minor issue with implying it's "not truth"... My goal was to help folks with the issues I encountered when installing a T5 in a V8 truck that had a 3-speed, not an SM420 - but I had to learn a lot myself before I purchased a trans as well. Anyway, I'm sorry you're having problems. However, it may not have been wise to plan your entire build off of one sentence in a 5 page thread - I believe you may have benefited from reading a little further or a little more of the detail perhaps. As stated in the thread (later), you need a pre-92 trans or it will have a Ford bolt pattern. It has nothing to do with whether it came from a V6 F-body - your issue is the year of mfgr you chose. I didn't know this either and learned it as the thread developed - that is why it's posted later by another helpful member. That tidbit is, however, outlined in some of the links I provided.

Spline length differences are outlined in the thread, but the variables between an S10 and an F-Body (and apparently the differences you're stating between a V6 and V8 F-body?) are the reason I mentioned you may want to make a 2D mockup of your disk/pressure plate/release bearing stacking height. It's the only way to know what you have.

I am curious how you ID'ed the trans you bought? Did you physically pull it from a 92 Camaro or were you going by a part number on the trans?

Thanks for posting and letting others know of the problems you've encountered - it may help someone else out with the same swap.

Also, so you know, your post is identical to a new thread you started, probably no need to start a duplicate and have the info floating around in 2 places. Not a big deal though.

Last edited by jocko; 12-06-2012 at 01:22 AM.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote