View Single Post
Old 01-30-2013, 02:07 AM   #113
jocko

Re: Complete T5 swap thread - one way to skin the cat

Was the Camaro T5 already in your truck (with a Camaro tailshaft on it)? Or, are you saying you pulled if from your Camaro(?) to swap on an S10 tail and then put it in your truck?

Did you use the stock truck bell housing or the Camaro bell when installing in the truck?
Does it feel like your stick is binding on the hole you cut in the floor?

Reason I ask - Camaro Bell Housing mounts the trans in a canted fashion, and then a Camaro stick is canted the other direction to compensate (so that it comes up straight through a Camaro console (in a Camaro) closer to the driver with a short stick). There can be interference problems if you use a straight S10 stick on a canted Camaro trans+bell combo. However, if you used the stock truck bell, this shouldn't be your problem.

If you did use the Camaro bell hsg, then buying a Camaro-specifc shifter may solve your problem, because it will compensate for the canted mounting of the trans. But it might be better to just use the stock truck bell housing and a straight (S-10-type) stick.

The big question to answer is whether or not your stick is impinging on the opening you cut in the floor. I assume it's not, but that is the only issue I can think of. Beyond that, I could only imagine this problem is internal to the trans - perhaps something got jacked up when swapping on the tailshaft - since that is really the only thing that has been changed recently. You may be onto something with the question regarding internal fork problem.

Sorry, not sure that is much help, but all I can think of based on the description.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote