View Single Post
Old 04-22-2020, 09:56 PM   #38
rustyrodknocker

Re: 66 GMC long story longer...

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsonteg View Post
Could you share the video link?
I can't seem to override my app and open in a web browser. But this is the guy and the first video. I watched him explain the technique in several videos. I was not sold on this first one, as I had tried a version of it many years ago and was not happy with it. However you can't argue the man's results. It is fast and accurate. But I do have a piece stuck in the door that I think will live there for ever. I think you need to do light tacks to keep from fusing the cut out skeleton and when tacked in get the piece out.

Another thing I had never seen is cutting in on a 45 to create a tighter gap when fit. I think this would add a great deal of time savings also. I did one door patch that way. It came out good. I have always preferred a full 1/16" gap on a blind panel.
This lessens the chance of warping. When heat shrinkage occurs the two sides of the joint can collide and buckle if gap was insufficient.

Panels that can be planished can be fit tight and gas or tig welded. In just a moment you can stretch it back into shape. Very quickly if done while still hot. Using this method requires no grinding. Welding the joint takes longer but time and mess are reduced from no grinding.
Attached Images

rustyrodknocker is offline   Reply With Quote