View Single Post
Old 05-09-2020, 11:21 PM   #43
rustyrodknocker

Re: 66 GMC long story longer...

It seems that everything is an approximation with these old trucks. The doors are approximately the same shape as the door opening. However, when I tried to fit the door today I was not even in the realm of approximate.

The floor was a half inch high at the front of the jam. I don't know how the hell I did that. I laid the new floor on the brace and plug welded it. The brace must have been pulled up and out of shape from me yarding the old floor out.

There was no easy way to back up. So many pieces tie together right there. After two hours off contemplating I just laid into it and sawzalled through the upright and about a foot of floor.

Then I stood on the brace and jumped up and down. It came down about 5/16". I tried fitting the door and rocker but it needed more. So I wedged it a 1/2" and Im getting close.

Too many optical delusions. I tried to square the rocker and eyeball it against a straight edge a dozen times. And I thought it was close. I had checked the rocker against the rear of the jam for square knowing that the back and bottom of the door form a right angle. It was a mile out and I dismissed it to tolerance thinking that the rocker could not be out a half inch.

Well it was. I could have easily measured the passenger side. But I assumed the floor brace was where it lived. Lesson learned...
Attached Images

rustyrodknocker is offline   Reply With Quote