View Single Post
Old 02-28-2022, 12:39 AM   #22
theastronaut

Re: Winter Beater Build 2.0- '66 Short/Fleet BBW

I found loose lower ball joints when I pulled the original spindles, which lead to ripping out everything except the crossmember and steering parts. The pitman and idler arms feel tight and I adjusted the play out of the steering box so those should be good to go until I piece together power steering parts. I'm undecided between a CPP 500 series box or a normal ratio squarebody box. I liked the CPP box we used in the '68 Chevelle we built but I'd like to see some long term reviews before buying one. Redhead Gear was another option I've looked into but their reviews have been iffy lately. The slightly slower squarebody ratio box might be a better option for interstate trips and backing a trailer, the Chevelle steering ratio was almost too fast. If anyone has feedback on what box they're using let me know.

Before completely disassembling everything I mounted the wheel to check clearances front and back. Fender clearance is great, ball joint and tie rod clearance is kinda close. I may need to run a 1/4 spacer.

Everything underneath was caked with grease and red clay. This mixture sets up hard enough that the pressure washer would barely touch it. I ended up soaking the arms in a container with old gas which dissolved the original paint and took the grime off with it after some scrubbing.

I used a pallet jack to roll the truck out of the stall so I could pressure wash the crossmember and wheelwells.

After the arms were stripped of most of the paint and grime I drilled out the spot welds holding the bump stops on, pressed out the ball joints, and removed the cross shafts. The old cross shafts were still tight and in good condition but the seals were rotting and coming apart.

I mocked up one of the lower arms to check the clearance between the arm and crossmember, I wanted to see how much further forward the arm could be mounted to add caster.

Adding a new dimple to relocate the arm 3/4" forward.

Crossmember cleaned up and painted.

All of the new parts are painted/assembled and are ready to go back on, just need the LCA U bolts that won't be here until Tuesday. I also cleaned up and painted the stock springs after cutting one coil off.

I pulled the rear brakes apart, pulled the axles and flushed out the diff to prepare for new axle bearings/seals, and repainted the backing plates.

New tank is in, lines are flushed. I bought a Monojet carb from a late 60's/early 70's C10 since I'm more familiar with setting those up, but it arrived with a bent idle mixture screw and the wrong needle and jet so I have those parts ordered to get it ready to mount. I also ordered an aluminum radiator but it ended up having a monor defect and it's replacement was damaged during shipping. I'm hoping to have everything under the hood mostly finished up this week so I can start it for the first time.

theastronaut is offline   Reply With Quote