View Single Post
Old 06-01-2012, 08:55 PM   #212
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Re: Markeb01 Build Thread

I started out washing the truck for a car show this weekend, when I heard the unmistakable sound of a heavy with 4 radial aircraft engines. I grabbed the camera and snapped a couple of shots of B17 Aluminum Overcast heading in to land at Felts Field. Here are a couple of shots showing with the gear up, and gear down:

The crappy weather made it a little disappointing. When these vintage bombers appear once or twice a year, they general fly an unusual route that takes them within a few hundred feet of my backyard at low level. I had one fly directly over me at about 500 feet a few years back, but didn’t have access to a camera that day.

As I was drying the truck, the brown truck showed up with my “wide” windshield trim. It arrived exactly as advertised, in excellent condition and well packaged. The upper two pieces are perfect, needing only polishing. The passenger lower has two tiny dings, and the driver lower piece has one dent and 5 or six pinpoint size dings. There are also some wiper scratches, but no real damage. The beauty of this trim is virtually the entire back side of the trim is accessible due to the design of the trim, which will make it very relatively easy to restore compared to the thin trim.

Here are a few pics showing how much nicer the wide trim looks compared to the skinny trim:

The two in front are the new wide lower pieces. The tiny one in the back is the lower driver side from the other set:

This is a shot of the upper driver side piece. This stuff is just beautiful if this type of detail matters like it does to me:

Here’s a shot showing the driver side lower corner of the thin trim compared to the “molding” of the wide trim. The wide trim retains its shape around the bend, while the thin piece actually flattens out:

And these joint caps are probably the most graphic depiction of how much different the two styles of trim are from each other:

This is the only actual dent in the entire set. Even though it’s on the character line, it’s completely open in the back over this spot, and will be relatively easy to correct:

It looks like I’m going to be busy for the next few days, as I also received confirmation the full floor vinyl mat is scheduled to arrive next week.

Last edited by markeb01; 06-02-2012 at 02:30 AM.
markeb01 is offline   Reply With Quote