View Single Post
Old 07-21-2014, 09:30 AM   #96
bnoon

Re: Project Mr. Green Jeans

So then I worked on the 350 in Green Jeans... I used the little end gaskets under the intake manifold instead of the 1/4" strip of goo... the gaskets pushed out within a few hundred miles, so I've had oil leaks to the tune of a quart or so per week depending on miles driven... so, pulled the intake, cleaned everything off, and put it all back on with the goo this time. Was the easiest I've ever put an intake onto a motor... no shifted gaskets, smooth as butter and even all of the holes lined up on the first shot. I even told my dad when he called "Something's wrong, this can't go this smooth, I must have forgotten something..." Dad laughed and agreed... then it happened.

I start the truck and take it down off of the ramps. Timing is a bit off, so it pops and sputters a bit, dies as it's rolling backwards off of the ramps. No biggie. Put the ramps away, go to restart it and nothing... Tried a few more times and the key now feels as if it's not moving anything inside the column. Damn, there it is... the setback I could feel coming.

Pulled apart the top of the column and found a broken slide that connects the ignition switch rod to the cylinder. Damn. Trip to the salvage yard only has an 82, and 86, and an 87 to choose from. The two newer ones are way different, but the '82 just might work. The good part is that someone has removed all but the under hood support, the shaft, and the hole trim plate... So I take it home for $50.91 after a little work.

Once home I find the connectors are just a little different on the turn signal wiring and the cruise wire had been severed. After breaking it all the way down, I swapped over all of my good wiring parts and start to put it in the truck. That's when I realized the shaft was different... splined on the '74 and oval with two flats on the '82. Damn. Back to the yard to grab the intermediate shaft. No charge on this piece.

I get back home and get the column mounted in the truck and go to install the "correct" intermediate shaft that I went back for... the end for the steering box is different! ARRRRAAAGHHHHHH! I see that I can swap rag joints, so bang those rusty bolts loose just barely, clean them up and reassemble... I get it almost together and see that I installed everything so that the wheel would be upside down. Son of a mother trucker!!! Pull the intermediate shaft again, reposition it 180 degrees, and hook the battery back up. Horn works, accessories work, signals work... no start. I swap out the ignition switch, still no start... I swap out the park/neutral switch, still no start. Damn. Now I have to raise it up and start checking voltage at the starter/etc. Didn't have time to go after it further. Felt like banging my head on a concrete wall. Continue tonight.
Attached Images

bnoon is offline   Reply With Quote