View Single Post
Old 11-25-2019, 02:03 PM   #76
MikeB

Re: 1980 Chevy C10 - Ugly but Functional

Wow! And I thought going from a 250-six and manual trans to a 350/TH350 was a lot of work. Great job!

Just FYI, when you get around to replacing the wiring with a generic harness, I highly recommend an American Autowire kit. I used their "Power Plus 20" kit. https://www.americanautowire.com/shop/power-plus-20-kit

Got it on sale and had a discount at Summit Racing, so paid around $260 for it. The materials (including GXL-rated wire), diagrams, and e-mail & phone support were first rate. The kit even includes their #510476 charging circuit kit with 6 gauge wire, terminals, and two maxi-fuses and holders.

I did need to buy a instrument cluster connector, because I didn't want to re-use the old one. Also had to reuse/modify washer/wiper wiring and connectors. There's also a few other gotchas, but the kit has circuits to spare!

The fuse panel will bolt directly into the factory holes on the firewall, but I made a plate to cover the OE hole. I also used standoffs on the inside for more room between panel wires and firewall. The distribution stud in the picture is something I added to feed the ignition switch and IGN fuse panel bus independently. The stud is fed by an 8 gauge wire, instead of the 10 gauge wire in the kit.

1981 C10 Silverado LWB -- sold, but wish I still had it!
1969 C10 (not the current one) that I bought in the early 1980s. Paid $1200; sold for $1500 a few years later. Just a hint at the appreciation that was coming.
Retired as a factory automation products salesman.
Worked part-time over the years for an engine builder and a classic car repair shop.
Member here for 23 years! This is the very first car/truck Internet forum I joined. I still used a dial-up modem back then!

Last edited by MikeB; 11-25-2019 at 06:14 PM.
MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote