View Single Post
Old 06-03-2021, 11:12 AM   #17
tdangle

Re: Balancing a two-piece driveshaft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich72C10 View Post
Well, it isn't the drive shaft or any of its bits or the rear end. I had it on the rack yesterday and everything is in perfect order. The rear end cover was removed and all checked out - other than the oil needing a well deserved change (the report was it looked like swamp mud). The shop said the rear end bits are in such good shape, that they were pretty sure it couldn't have been original 72 internals. Though I haven't any information any work has ever been done on it but that doesn't mean it hasn't been worked on prior to me getting the truck!

They did find one of the rear wheels being out of balance real bad, which kind of pisses me off as the tires were replaced about two months ago by Discount Tire.

So the good news, rear end is in great shape and I no longer need to worry about the minor cover leak, the state of the oil, drive shaft, or U-Joints/Carrier Bearing.

Bad News, no improvement in the ~40mph noise. So that means it is coming from forward of the drive shaft or I guess the engine / flex plate??
Not surprised about the out of balance wheel. I've had major problems with Discount Tire/Americas Tire and balancing. Numerous locations here in SoCal. What is the noise at ~40 mph? Bearing or whine from the tires. I have a slight noise at the same speed that was getting worse. Swapped out front and rear bearings check everything out and couldn't figure it out. Rotated tires around and the noise changed.

1970 Custom Camper/C20 , GM Crate 350/7004R, Dana 60, factory AC
tdangle is offline   Reply With Quote