View Single Post
Old 06-27-2017, 06:04 PM   #94
Northwest Outlaw

Re: '61 Apache "BoomStick"

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvrfoot View Post
From the cam,lifters,chain was the motor worn out?
The combination of all three components led to valves opening and closing at the wrong time, or not opening at all. Resulted in almost as much flow back out of the carb as was going in through the carb

Quote:
Originally Posted by 61_FL_Apache View Post
What did the heads and cylinders look like?
You give me too much credit! I'm not ready to attack a full engine at this point, so i only tore her down far enough to replace what I knew i needed to. At some point i'm sure i'll have to address the heads and cylinders in a real way, but for now i'm ok with how they looked from what I could see from the crank galley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by namloc View Post
Sorry to see what happeneded.Just a hiccup.You may already know but if not you need to run 15/40 engine oil and or start adding zddp . The zinc additives are needed or your flat tappet cam will look that again quickly.
My guy, old school dude who owns and operates the auto parts store, has me running a high-zinc oil designed for engines of this age. He called it a "performance engine oil" which would be a stretch to use the word "performance" for anything on my truck!
Northwest Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote