View Single Post
Old 03-09-2019, 09:33 PM   #2864
Kevin Mac

Re: What did you do with your truck today, Part 3

I installed a reman HB today to get the brakes going and they worked great. That's the good news, the bad news the driver rear wheel came off when I pulled in the driveway. That's right it came off and got wedged it the fender holding the truck up off the ground enough to still get a floor back under it. I robbed 2 lug nuts from other side and pulled it in the garage. It did a little damage where the lower back brace is but can't see it unless you lay on the ground and look for it. Guess I got lucky on that if you can call it that.
Couple pics to maybe give ideas on a couple way I did things. 1st pic is how I pulled the push rod out. I put the square head nut on the HB unit then cut a 1 1/2" nipple just long enough to put a bolt through the eye hole in push rod. The back out the square but to pop out push rod. Worked good.
2nd pic is dimpleing the new push rod in. Get something solid steel to back up area to dimple and use a blunt center punch.
3rd pic is how I pinned the HB from spinning in my bracket. Most people make their own bracket and instead of using a key I used 1/4" round stock. The HB is rounded in that area and you can simply use a round file to cut in for a round pin. I did taper the pin on the end going in first.
Last pic is what not to do (wheel falling off)
Mac
Attached Images

Kevin Mac is offline   Reply With Quote