View Single Post
Old 07-25-2011, 12:38 PM   #6
cleszkie

Re: Original Soft Top - Need some help

Travis -

I was waiting for someone who has one ofthese original tops to reply, but they are pretty rare and not many out there. However, the design of the original top is almost identical to the tops that a company called Bestop used to make. I have two of these, and am familiar withe the hardware.

As you said, looks like you are missing the two rear bow pivots. On the Bestop, the taller bow goes closer to the winshield and the shorter bow closer to the tailgate. The Bestop secures to the tailgate and windshield frame with snaps that are screwed into the body. The bed rails should be positioned such that the snaps are on the outside, and the semi-circular notch is located at the bow pivot point. If you have 4 pieces of bed rail hardware, the ones with the slanted cut on the ends go to the rear, and the ones with the door frame mounting points go towards the front. Let me know if you want to see pictures of my Bestop hardware in place on my Blazer. It may not be exactly like the original stuff, but its pretty close.

PS - Yes, you will have to remove the header bar and bedrail bars to install your hard top. Also, the two other mystery bars are probably part of the door frame support. My hardware has these (similar), but they have two legs which pivot open to form a 90 degree angle over the door glass. One ofthe legs inserts into the bedrail and the other leg inserts into a bracket on the widshield frame. The canvas then secures to that.

Craig

Last edited by cleszkie; 07-25-2011 at 12:45 PM. Reason: More info
cleszkie is offline   Reply With Quote