View Single Post
Old 09-20-2020, 11:43 AM   #3
SierraMtns

Re: Rebuild LQ9 or...Stroke it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS short box View Post
I'm guessing at 200K it will need boring if it didn't lead a good life. If you have the cash I would stroke it no matter what. But if money is a bit short a good set of forged rods and pistons would be a good way to go. Will it need a valve job?
Head studs are kind of expensive. How about ARP main and head bolts?
I was thinking the same thing if I was in there then go all the way and do a stroker kit. However, once I added up all the other little stuff I need to buy for the top end (gaskets, lifters, lifter trays and head bolts) I started running out of money for the stroker kit really fast.

Back 18 years ago when I was in high school our local machine shop let me come and port a head. They walked me through the process. It was a lot of fun. I stopped back by a couple days ago and then said bring that engine and lets build it.

So I guess I really want to build that engine just so I can learn how to do a full rebuild. lol

I like your idea of ARP head bolts vs head studs to save a little money. No matter what I want to get away from the torque to yield bolts.

Another option I was thinking was seeing if we can clean up the bores and then use some 706 or 799 heads and the current cam I have. Here are the cam specs. Dur 231/235 lift .635 and .610 LSA 111
SierraMtns is offline   Reply With Quote