View Single Post
Old 09-26-2016, 05:46 AM   #77
nibulus

Re: 67-72 Development/Concept Photos Galore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleszkie View Post
I'm not sure how the full-size conceptual models are made these days. I'm guessing its through the use of CAD and huge CNC-type machines to carve out the shapes. However, back in the day, these guys were frickin' artists! ...
Your guess is quite close to reality. At least for OEMs with larger volume, since the modeling machines are not that cheap (less surprising).

Here's an example of one. As you can see, details/changes are often modelled manually.

To reduce cost, one option is to use the frame of an existing vehicle, on which sort of "clay sheets" or thin "blocks" are mounted and then modelled either by machine or hand, depending on availability of 3D-data.

Another option is to make a completely new frame for the clay model, made of whatever material is reasonable. It could theoretically be made of wood, polymer, metal or whatever, depending on the purpose of the full-size model (exterior only, interior, engine bay etc.). Sometimes the models have to be driveable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleszkie View Post
... Shaping the models out of massive blocks of clay by hand. True craftsmanship.
I'd say those models in this thread weren't made of one massive clay block either. Not only to reduce cost.

Either way, it was and still is true craftmanship. And art. Funny to see that the challenges at the time (regarding cost, industrialization, marketing etc.) were pretty much the same as nowadays.

Speaking of challenges, it'd be really interesting to get some in-depth info about GM's product development / industrialization process back then.
nibulus is offline   Reply With Quote