View Single Post
Old 08-12-2018, 02:38 AM   #23
S_Gibson

Re: C10 almost roadworthy during the day and night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourspeedwagon View Post
Also, AC would be listed unless it were a dealer add on type. But the fuse box has a spot for it no matter- in case the dealer needed to add it or whatever.
Does the AC fuse work anything else if there is no AC? There is a fuse in that spot.

I've been on vacation and busy catching up at work the last couples weeks, but I finally a chance to work on the truck a bit today. I noticed the brakes sticking and could feel the drag on the truck when I was not accelerating. I guess the intermediate braking brake cable broke on the passenger side so someone tied that side off to the guide mounted to the chassis. When I was using the parking brake it was only operating the drivers side. I ordered the cable, clamps and a Brake Release knob and put them on today. It started raining before I could adjust them.

Tomorrow if it doesn't rain I'll need to take both rear drums off and see how it looks. If nothing need replacing I'll disassemble and make sure everything is moving freely and working as it should. I can't have the brakes dragging. I took the front drums off several weeks ago while cleaning the wheels and everything there looked good. Anyone know of anything in particular to look for?

The noticed spring that pulls the brake release lever back on the pedal assembly is missing. Is it possible to purchase just this spring? If so does anyone happen to have a link? If they are not readily available I guess I could find something else to work there.

I'm slowly getting the truck to where I'm comfortable driving it around town more. Messing with it I'm starting to see more and more little things that need to be done before considering it completely mechanically sound, but fortunately I haven't run into anything major. I think once I get to the point of worrying about rust I'll have my hands full. I'm seeing more and more body parts with rust issues. I think rust is going to be a much bigger problem than I originally thought, but it isn't something I have to take care of right away. It took nearly 50 years to get to this point, so I don't think a couple more will hurt it.

Surprising I have less that $1650 in total in this truck and it is only about $300 or $400 away from me considering using it as my daily driver. If the rear brakes look OK I think all I'll need is new tires, valve cover gaskets, a tuneup & backup switch to be tip top mechanically and road worthy. I still have to look into the heater controls before winter get here, but I don't think it should be much trouble. I know the fan switch isn't working, and haven't look at the vent doors to see if they are working properly.