View Single Post
Old 02-22-2017, 01:56 AM   #84
Techie79

Re: My 1958 GMC 100 Stepside Budget Build

Still been chipping away at the todo list as time permits. I finished reassembling the front drums minus brakes and got her sitting back on the front wheels. I have started cleaning up the differential and prepping it for new seals and paint. Up to this point I had not been able to find the axle stamp so I wasn't sure exactly what it was, but I found that it was originally a positrac out of a 1968 chevelle. Judging by the dents and hole that had been repaired in the cover the diff had some type of catastrophic failure at some point in its life and someone had replaced the posi guts with standard open guts with 3:23 gears, so it should work pretty good with the 700r4. I got a real surprise when I pulled the cover. I found that there wasn't a single drop of oil left in the diff. It had all leaked out because of a broken cover bolt, but luckily there doesn't appear to be any significant damage. I have new seals and new thrust washers on the way and hope to be painting and reassembling it soon.

Next it was on to the passenger door. I have a fair amount of work to do to the doors such as fixing the speaker hole that someone put in them at some point and fixing some cancer on the bottom but for now I am just trying to fix the lower hinge pocket so I can test fit them along with the rest of the front end.

Techie79 is offline   Reply With Quote