View Single Post
Old 10-19-2009, 10:34 PM   #2
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Re: Frame swap? Just crossmember? How about that transmission?

A few points and tips for what they’re worth –

Before you consider buying an oilless compressor listen to one run. They are outrageously loud. When I lived in Idaho my garage had a dirt floor with fence board walls, and it was so loud I had to wear hearing protection. When I moved into town with a concrete floor and real walls, I bought a conventional upright and the oilless sat in the back yard for 7 years before I found someone that wanted it for free.

I’m not sure from your post if you already have a 60-66 truck (63?) or are thinking about buying one. With almost any project vehicle, nothing will kill interest faster than walking around a cluttered pile of disassembled parts. It’s always easier to keep enthusiasm going when the vehicle remains drivable. Many ambitious upgrades can be completed in a day or a weekend, including a complete front suspension swap. This also allows each system to be checked as it’s upgraded, rather than trying to debug “everything” during final assembly. As a first time project I would recommend against a body swap. It can be done with excellent results, but even for an experienced fabricator this can be a difficult challenge. And this is not a good place to learn welding. Chassis welds need to be extreme quality like that of a certified welder. There are just so many small details that an inexperienced hobbyist can run into, big enough to derail the project.

Buying an entire project truck is often the cheapest approach, if you have a place to keep and disassemble it. There are always a bunch of bits and pieces that come in handy. And with the donor sitting nearby you can photograph and double check where things went.

There are many aftermarket electric speedometers that should be compatible with the T5 transmission. I have an electric speedo in my 1960 connected to a Super T10 4 speed. It just requires the correct speed generator adapted to the output drive.

If you have a 63-66, the biggest change to installing the T5 might be moving the transmission crossmember a few inches to line up with the new mount pad. It’s more difficult on the 60-62 since they have an X/convertible style frame.
markeb01 is offline   Reply With Quote