View Single Post
Old 10-20-2009, 05:22 PM   #6
padresag

Re: Frame swap? Just crossmember? How about that transmission?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63whoopie View Post
markeb01-
padresag-
I may be using the wrong term, but when I pulled the transmission, there was a support which ran under the transmission and supported it, as well as the rubber transmission mount block thing; without the transmission in place, the engine has no rear support, so I have a ratchet strap holding it up It was held to the bottom of the frame by 4 bolts, and had 1 or 2 bolts that ran up into the tranny, I think?
in the 45 years that this vehicle has been around it could have previously had some alterations
if there is a crossmember that goes under the tailhousing of the transmission, then it is not stock unless it came with an a/t. In that model with a std trans the crossmember went under the bellhousing/ flywheel area. Sometimes people are confused on how to take the trans out as the two bottom bolts have to be removed from inside the bellhousing so therefore they also remove the bellhousing with the tranny still attached. this would be a similiar removal as the old cast p/glide installed in 62 and prior applications.
that crossmember is riveted to the frame unless someone went to the trouble to remove the rivets and install bolts which is doubtful
ron
padresag is offline   Reply With Quote