63GMCKid

Re: '63 GMC 4x4 "Just Because I can" Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp rat View Post
PM Sent.
Replied.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.J. MCCAULEY View Post
Nice work on the truck! Just ran across the build.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMurphy View Post
I dont suppose that what is going on in your avatar pic happens to be the reason you are selling this off?

None the less, I am sorry to hear of you letting it go, you were doing some awesome work on it !!!!
That picture was from the big forest fire we had here a couple years ago. The building that truck was parked next to during the fire burned down and the wall collapsed and fell over on it. Not my truck though, a friend of mine took that picture.

And thanks. Just to clear it up for everyone, there was a thread over on Pirate4x4 called something like "If you could start all over, what would you do differently". It opened my eyes big time, most of the replies were guys saying they should have just built a buggy in the first place, or left their truck alone, or not built it up so hardcore.

After reading through that thread, I went outside and had a good long look at the truck, and thought "What the hell am I going to do with this thing when I'm finished with it?". What it really came down to is the fact that there isn't really much for decent four wheeling that is local to me, and it was just the wrong truck to do this sort of thing to. I thought if I laid it on its side on a trail and happened to break a windshield, its going to be expensive and difficult to replace, not to mention ruining good cab and front clip. It's too tall and flexy to be a good tow rig, and really not enough power either. I turned it into an impractical truck, and that's what caused me to lose interest.

Once I got myself an ATV and started riding trails and going to the track, I realized how easy it is to have fun locally with these smaller toys. Most of my friends ride dirtbikes or ATV's or those RZR's, and there are tons of places to enjoy them just a few minutes from home. Not to mention they are quite a bit cheaper than an all out wheelin truck. I would have loved to finish it, but it's just not in the cards anymore.