View Single Post
Old 10-05-2009, 09:53 PM   #1
rare86
Extended cab fanatic

Square body extended cabs

Information on these trucks is somewhat scarce. I have found several that I know where made by Custom Vehicles International in Arlington Texas, and one made by Stage Coach conversions. From the information from owners that I have talked to, I have come to the conclusion that most of the trucks were built by Custom Vehicles International, and then shipped to various conversion companies that finished the interior and paint upgrades. The most extravegant ones, interior and exterior wise, are the Western Hauler, Overland Coach, and Tra-Tech conversions. I have one Tra-Tech extended crewcab, and two half ton extended cabs. The halftons do not have the fancy interior, which leads me to believe they may have been completed at CVI before delivery. I have found that the majority of these trucks were special order through dealers at a cost of $6000 according to one owner who has had his truck since new. I have contacted Western Hauler, and have been told they dont have any records of these trucks, though I have seen several with their badges on them. I have not been able to get any information on CVI, Tra-Tech, Overland Coach, or Stage Coach conversions. Its like they just disappeared. I am still looking though. I have found one guy who says he has a brochure from CVI with one on the cover, but cant get in contact with him for a copy.
Production numbers are all over the board. I have heard that 2510 total were made between 84-87, and I have heard that only 50 were made in 84 and 500 made in 85. I have not heard any production numbers for the extended crewcabs, of which I have only seen 8 total. This is why this site thread has been started, so we can try to document as many as possible.

Currently, these are the stats that I know of:
20-1/2ton extended cabs: 1-83, 2-84s, 13-85s, 2-86s (both GMC's) and
2-87s.

5-1/2 ton 4wds (all 85 Chevys)

3-3/4 ton 2wds

4-3/4 ton 4wds

2- 1 ton extednded cabs (cabs are correct, dont know for sure if they were orignally 1 ton duallies)

8- extended crewcabs- 4 have the pickup bed, and the other 4 have the Western hauler beds.
This is just what I have so far. I have more photos and info on http://conversiontrucks.net

This is where you come in. Any information you may have will be very valuable to putting the peices of this puzzle together. Any information is just speculation until we can find the hard documentation. For now, we just keep our eyes and ears open for the truth.

Here is information to help determine the difference between one made in the 80's sold through dealers, and ones made more recently.
I know that all of the CVI conversions had these interior peices ( note the back wall, jumper seats, and window surrounds. Some of the Overland Coach and Western Hauler interiors have more, padded type window surrounds)

The back portion of the cab used the floor section that was removed from the bed.

And this is how the bed was modified

Last edited by rare86; 10-05-2009 at 09:57 PM.
rare86 is offline   Reply With Quote