Thread: 47-59 coolant overflow
View Single Post
Old 11-12-2020, 04:40 PM   #10
jwhotrod

Re: coolant overflow

the purpose of a overflow or "puke tank" is to allow the radiator to remain full and not have air space in the top tank. the tanks we use in streetrods have the hose from the radiator in the bottom of the tank with a short extension into the tank. this allows the coolant to push up into the tank and fill the tank from the bottom up as the radiator heats and the coolant expands. but it also allows the coolant to be sucked back into the radiator when it cools. the actual overflow tube has a long extension up ito the tank to allow the tank to vent when it gets too full. this way the coolant level in the radiator stays at the top of the tank and does not allow air into the system. once the system in my 35 chevy reached balance i have not added any coolant for almost a year. i check it regularly but its full snd needs no service. which brings me to the whole reason for this. in a vertical flow radiator with the tank on top and bottom will stop flowing coolant thru the core if the level falls below the top of the core. the air in the system causes the corrosion in and sdiment in the system, my system is as clean today as it was 4 years ago when i filled it.
jwhotrod is online now   Reply With Quote