View Single Post
Old 05-05-2018, 06:45 PM   #18
dave`12

Re: Alternator question

Thanx
I guess we all have talents. One of yours is being able to look at bunches of wires and wiring diagrams and have them make sense. Me, I lose the trees for the forest. Tracing a wire from a junction to the ignition would require me to un-tape the entire harness. But with these old vehicles, once someone holds my hand, I usually get it right in the end.

So the plan:
I’m going to buy the conversion kit. My wires are white and blue (no brown and red) but the kit will take care of that. Plug in the alternator and jump the regulator with the kit. I know it could be done cheaper, but I’m more comfortable with this.
Then an S-12 alternator, either the one DMJLambert advised, or a mid-eighties S-10 depending on the clocking.
I’m going to hope the new alternator pulley and clocking fit, if not, I will swap the pulley with my current one and/or get a longer belt.
I’m going to remove my red output from my alternator, trace it where it currently goes (the junction?), and replace it with 8 gauge. Same thing with the ground (necessary?).
Below is a pic that I believe to be the junction in question (from another thread here). I would like to clean this up and like the terminal block in the vette picture. Where could I get this, and what should I ask for?

So, the power to the fan relays would run to this new junction (terminal block) instead of to the battery as it now does, with everything that’s already there?
I’m assuming here that all the junction I would buy (terminal block) would do is allow a bunch of wires to be “spliced together”? So I just run all the existing wires into it (with the new 8 gauge output from the new alternator) and the power to the fans – correct?
Beyond that, I really don’t want to mess with my fan relays, they are in and work well, plus I mounted a box to protect them on the fender.
So here is a question, not sure I understand this step from vette:
“You should keep the junction on the right fender with the fusible link from the battery and the no. 1 ammeter wire connected there,”
Is the fusable link already there? If so, then I should not worry about it? Just wire everything as stated above and I would be good?
Thanx again, and sorry that I’m so dense. I love this truck, I have literally hundreds of hours into it and would really hate to burn it to the ground – that’s why I’m so careful.
Attached Images

dave`12 is offline   Reply With Quote